CALL FOR APPLICATIONS : MÉDUSE, MAP, ARTIST RESIDENCIES, QUÉBEC CITY, DEADLINE : 05/08/2018
PRESENTATION OF MÉDUSE
Méduse is a unique structure in North America. A cooperative of artistic, cultural and community producers and disseminators, it opened its doors in 1995. Its 4000 m2 building complex, located in the St. Roch District, at the heart of Downtown Québec City, includes ten (10) autonomous non-profit organizations leading the way in contemporary arts. They have distinct, complementary missions. Through its member organizations, Méduse gives artists access to high-end production and dissemination spaces and equipment. The cooperative is a major hub for the production and dissemination of contemporary arts in Canada.
Méduse’s international residencies are offered in collaboration with the cooperative member organizations. Each organization has its own participation in the program. Here is the list of available mentor organizations for the international residencies.
- Antitube (cinema) – writing and pre-production projects;
- Avatar (audio and electronic art) – creation and production projects;
- La Bande Vidéo (video) – creation and production projects;
- Engramme (printmaking) – creation and production projects;
- L'OEil de Poisson (visual and multidisciplinary arts) – creation and production projects;
- Productions Recto-Verso (multidisciplinary arts) – temporary support for creation and production;
- Spira (cinema) – research-creation and post production projects;
- VU (photography) – creation and production projects;
- Manif d'art (visual arts) – public art, writing and curatorial projects.
Méduse’s studio-apartment is a 750-square feet (about 70 m2) open housing and working space equipped with a double bed, bathroom, toilet, storage, kitchenette, work area and Internet connection. Specifically dedicated to international residencies, it is accessible only by the guest artist. Located on the 5th floor of the building, it offers an exceptional view on Downtown Québec City and the surrounding mountains, an environment propitious for research and creation projects. Méduse also puts a bicycle at the disposal of the guest artist.
As an international residency host, we offer:
- artistic support (mainly provided by the mentoring member organization *) ;
- logistics support (mainly provided by Méduse) ;
- access to technical studios, supervision by experienced technicians and specialized equipment (free or paying access depending on the type of project, the mentoring organization and the availability **) ;
- support for professional networking (by Méduse and the mentoring member organization) ;
- organization of artist talks and public presentations (coordinated by Méduse) ;
- production of a short video clip documenting the residency and/or the project (coordinated by Méduse).
* By mentoring organization, we mean one of the cooperative member organizations. Depending on the projects, more than one organization may simultaneously welcome an artist.
** Méduse’s international residencies do not grant unlimited and continuous access to the technical studios and technicians. The equipment lists are available on each member organization’s website. See meduse.org
- housing in the studio-apartment for one (1) person (3 months);
- production allowance: CA$ 6,000*** ;
- access to coop member rates for equipment rentals and services;
- promotion of the residency;
- organization of artist talks or public presentations;
- production of a short video clip documenting the residency and/or the project.
The artist may apply to programs for complementary funding. If so, the artist must handle these applications autonomously.
*** The allowance is given to the artist to cover his/her international transportation (home-Méduse), material purchases and/or rental, production expenses and personal expenses (food, transportation, etc.).
- Deadline: August 5th, 2018 at midnight.
- Number of proposals to be selected: 2
- Residency dates: January through March 2019 and April through June 2019
More infos ? Please write an email to Jacques Urbanska firstname.lastname@example.org).
Subject of your mail (important): "Pépinières Méduse2019"
Writing, curatorial, research-creation, or production projects in one or more disciplines of visual and media arts.
- The call is aimed primarily at emerging professional artists aged up to 35 years (the emerging artist concept is left to the discretion of the jury, which will be based primarily on the artist's career more than on his age).
- have a professional artistic status ;
- have one European citizenship ;
Application file must include:
- an artistic statement and project intention (1000 words max. in French or English);
- the chosen residency period;
- a preferred mentoring organization (1 or more organizations of the cooperative);
- support material (resume, 10 images max. and/or 10 min max. in PDF, .mpg, .jpg, .mp3 or web links)
- Download your compressed file (.zip format - maximum 500 MB) via the UPLOAD BOX (password meduse).
- The uploaded folder will be named as: LastName_FirstName-Pepinieres-Meduse-2019
- Please wait for the complete upload of your file before closing/refreshing the page
- After the upload of your file (or for any request for information), please send a confirmation email to Jacques Urbanska (email@example.com).
Subject of your mail (important): "Pépinières Méduse2019"
Files that are sent by mail, received after the deadline or even incomplete will be rejected.
The selection of applicants is made by a jury of professionals at Méduse. The artistic directors of the cooperative member organizations form the jury. The jury will be held in 2018, August.
PARTNERS OF THE INTERNATIONAL RESIDENCIES
Méduse’s international residencies program is made possible thanks to the financial support of the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (artist residencies in partnership with the Pépinières européennes and artist residencies in partnership with the Finnish Artists’ Studio Foundation) and the Ville de Québec (artist residencies in partnership with the Pépinières européennes).